To write the Test Cases in more effective and efficient way, we are having the below main Software Test Design Techniques:
- Boundary Value Analysis (BVA)
- Equivalence Class Partition (ECP)
- Error Guessing
- State Transition Diagrams
- Decision Table Testing
Boundary Value Analysis (BVA):
Whenever we are having a range like 1 to 10000 or 1 to 1000000 or 100000 to 10000000 etc. then it is not possible to perform the exhaustive testing, so at that time we need to use the Boundary Value Analysis Technique.
- Divide the range of multiple boundaries like:
Min – 1, Min, Min + 1, Middle, Max – 1, Max, Max + 1.
- To perform the Positive testing, Test the field with the boundaries like:
Min, Min + 1, Middle, Max – 1, Max.
So the application should accept these boundaries.
- To perform the Negative testing, Test the application with the boundaries like:
Min – 1 and Max + 1.
So the application should not accept these boundaries.
- If it is working as expected, then we can conclude that the field is accepting only the range.
For example: there is any field of product quantity with the range of 1 to 1000.