The Equivalence Class Partition (ECP) technique is a Test Case Design Technique which uses special types of Test scenarios, through this we can write more effective Test Cases like:
- Whenever we have special requirements like the Username or Password should accept characters like A to Z, a to z, 0 to 9, special characters like ()@$ or minimum Eight characters.
- At the same time, the application should not accept the special characters like <>/\-+_ or should not be more than 15 characters.
- Username should not contain space or should be between 6 to 12 characters.
In the above type of scenarios exhaustive testing is not possible, so we have to follow the ECP technique.
- In this technique, we have to divide the Test Data into two classes. One with Valid data and second with Invalid data.
- For Positive testing, test the application with Valid data where it should be accepted.
- For Negative testing, test the application with Invalid data where it should not be accepted.
- If it is working as expected then we can conclude that it is accepting only Valid characters.